Tim Christian (July 19)

Juan Capistran
Curated by Tim Christian






Press Release
June 2010
I Ainʼt Got No Home In This World Anymore
or
Mi Casa es su Casa
“Youʼll never see the hacienda. It doesnʼt exist.
The hacienda must be built.”
IVAN CHTCHEGLOV, Formulary for a New Urbanism, 1953
“I ain't got no home, I'm just a-roaminʼ round
I'm just a wandrinʼ worker, I roam from town to town.
The police make it hard wherever I may go
And I ainʼt got no home in this world anymore.”
Woody Guthrie, I ainʼt got no home in this world anymore, 1940
“You may be black, you may be white, you may be jew or gentile
It don't make a difference in our house.”
Mr. Fingers (Larry Heard), Can You Feel It, 1988 Bootleg version

I Ainʼt Got No Home In This World Anymore or Mi Casa es su Casa is a “mobile” component of a larger project entitled This Machine Kills Fascists or Labor Sets You Free (Love is the Message). A multi disciplinary project that looks at the way social space is constructed, experienced, altered and mutated by its inhabitants, the project will include a daylong sound performance by the artist and invited guests. Using a scaled model of my Spanish Colonial Revival childhood home fitted with a 200 watt sound system, as the point of departure, the project draws parallels between the subculture of ʻback yard” raves and punk gigs, the roots of House music, the Hacienda nightclub, and The Situationist International, creating a conversation about utopic beliefs, alternative social structures and revolutionary change.

Popular Posts